Friday, April 4, 2008

Just Hanging Around The House



Cody takes hanging around very seriously. He reminds me of a bat, sleeping (almost) upside down like that. Oh, no sign of Batly yet.
I decided to take some random pictures of some neat things in the house. That hinge is made of brass and is original to the house which was built in 1891. It was covered in layers of paint. We removed as many doorknobs and hinges as we could and dunked them in paint stripper. After the paint was removed and they were polished, my husband put a coat of varnish over them so they wouldn't tarnish. Our house isn't a super fancy Victorian because it was built by a working/middle class family. But, it does have some pretty touches here and there.
My daughter painted that picture for me for Halloween. I love the show Bewitched and I told her that as a little girl I pretended to be Samantha and I named my dolls after characters on the show. :) She saw a picture similar to this in a magazine and painted this for me. Now, my hair is auburn, but I'm not as lithe and beguiling as this pretty witch. But, I love this picture and I think my daughter is very talented. When I framed it, she seemed a little embarrassed but I think she was secretly pleased that I hung it in the living room.
I'm hoping for a quiet weekend. I have to grocery shop. (Yuck!) If it's warm enough I'd like to go for a walk. I just need my body to cooperate. I was stubborn yesterday and changed litter boxes and hauled a vacuum around even though my back was hurting. But, you know, sometimes you have to get things done, because if you don't do it it won't happen. (Even scoopable litter has to be dumped eventually, eew!) .
I hope Spring is finally here and the sun finds you all!

5 comments:

Daisy said...

First of all, I think your daughter is very talented!

I am very amazed that you have such a historic house. It is over 100 years old!!! Where I live, there are no old houses. I like the special touches like that pretty door hinge. Older houses have so much more character and charm.

Cecil the Cougar: said...

That is a very pretty picture of a witch, but it doesn't look too much like Samantha. My Mommie also loves Bewitched but I Love Lucy is her favorite.

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

That is a great picture your daughter made for you...very talented!
Spring is definitely here....but that means mom is outside more.
My mom spent the whole day in the yard today...without me. I was very lonely and went to sit by the computer in case it turned on for me.
Hope you are having a great weekend!
--JB

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

Oh I am amazaed at your talented daughter! Such a nice treasure to have from her own hand. I would have framed it also:) Bewitched was a charming TV show. Like Cougar, mommy loves I LOVE LUCY the best. She has every episode they ever filmed in her archive!!! In case of a rain day, we are all set to go!
Well tomorrow we strike off the set from the stage at the theatre. New rehearsals begin on Monday for the next play. Mommy had tired dogs...I don't see any of them around here...whatever. She needs some sleep! She also made 24 cat cards today for her club and is working on a very special project with ME!! Since it is TOP SECRET CRIPTO CLEARANCE ONLY, I can not tell you more at this time.
Have a wonderful SUnday and remember I love you lots...your Miss Peach

Sunrunner said...

I like that picture! It's on my daytimer. Victorian houses are so neat, That's great that you live in one! Does it come with it's own Victorian ghost?

I keep trying to catch that show on Monday nights, but I keep conking out and forgetting to set the TiVo (I work on Sunday nights and my youngest stays home with me on Mondays). One of these days though...