Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Game of Cat and Mouse


Cat and Mouse

Last Friday evening was rather mild here for March. I was feeling a bit yucky and watching t v while my husband carried in some groceries. My daughter and her friend had just returned from a movie. The back door was open and not being closely watched. Cody took the opportunity to run outside.
"He'll be fine. " My husband said. "It's nice out Mom." My daughter said.
"He's a black cat out in the dark and we're around the corner from a busy street!" I cried. Needless to say, I was worried sick. I kept opening the door calling for him and going from window to window looking for him.
Finally, my husband went to the back door and called for him. Cody trotted into the backyard meowing loudly. He walked into the back porch, which is enclosed and continued meowing. My husband turned on a light to see what was wrong. Cody proudly dropped a mouse onto the floor.
He was all ready rather uh... chewed up. :( My husband let Cody stay on the back porch with it and came in. "Cody's back. He's fine."
"Oh, thank goodness! Where is he?"
"On the back porch eating a mouse."
"Oh ick! Couldn't you rescue the poor thing?"
"Nope, too late. Besides, Cody is so happy and proud. It's just a little snack."
Men!...
If I had known, I would have tried to save the mouse, but from the sound of it, I would have been too late. This wouldn't have happened if, everyone had been paying more attention. I'm just grateful my Cody made it home safe and sound.
"Psst, Cody here. Hee hee! What can I say? Mouse is tasty!"

I am now on an antibiotic for strep throat. I had a feeling that's what was going on. I have to stay off of the Methotrexate until I finish it. My throat is starting to feel a bit better. It was really painful. Maybe by this weekend I might actually feel half way decent.
I hope everyone is having a good week. Billie, Cody ("mouse breath"), Cricket, Toeshee and I send hugs and purrs.

7 comments:

JB's Big and Small Worlds said...

Hi Lorianna,
Sorry we have not been around much. My mom has a lot going on and has been working like a madwoman with the conomy being so bad.
Cody got a mouse? Wow, he must have heard it scurrying around outside and wanted to make sure it did not come in the house. I am not sure if I would like mouses to eat....they are my friends in my Big World. hee hee
--JB

Daisy said...

Way to go, Cody! I have never even seen a real mouse, let alone hunted one!

Mickey's Musings said...

We hope you are feeling better Lorianna. A sore throat is not any fun.
Cody!!!! That was a pawsome job!! Tillie chased a mouse that got into our kitchen :O It ran under the fridge though! We would love to go mouse hunting!!!!
Purrs Mickey,Georgia & Tillie
PeeEss: Billie,I am so happy you will be in my wedding party :)
Purrs Mickey

Sweet Purrfections said...

My mom is going , Ewwwwwwww!

Way to go Cody. I don't even know what a live mouse looks like.

Miss Billie - I have a picture of you featured on my blog today!

michico*Adan*Lego-小芥*阿丹*樂高 said...

Oah Cody,
You had a very amazing adventure,
although you let your mommy worry a lot, but I think your dad knows you knowing you could return home safely~!

Catching a mouse sounds very very cool, but not eating it, mice are not very clean~!
But, hey, you are a mighty hunter for sure!!

BIG PURR AND HUGS TO you and your worry mommy. Give her more cuddles okay?

Rosemary B❤️ said...

I never caught a mouse... once I got a cricket.

I hope you have a sunny week-end.
Purrrrs to all of you

Shaggy and Scout said...

Well Cody what a mighty hunter you are!! Mom always makes sure to praise us when we come home with vermin. then she quietly disposes of it.
Cody, don't scare your mom like that again though. It's not safe being out in the night!
Our mom says she had strep throat once as an adult and it was the most horrible pain! She couldn't even turn her head!! Feel better soon!